Drop - In Overview
Drop-In Tutoring allows you to chat live with a tutor immediately.
To start a Drop-In Tutoring session:
- Open Smarthinking through your Student Portal page.
- Choose the WORK WITH A TUTOR button
- Select "Drop In Tutoring".
- Select your subject area.
- Follow the on screen prompts to start your tutoring session.
Please note: If your subject area is grayed out - that means all tutors in that subject area are currently busy. You can view the Hours of Service for more information on the tutoring schedule for each area. If no tutor is currently available, you can either schedule a future session or submit a question from the screen you are on. See the boxes below for more information on these options.
Having Trouble? Here are some tips for Drop-In Tutoring:
- You can type anywhere you place the cursor on the whiteboard.
- The whiteboard also allows you to draw freehand, if you need to show a math problem or picture with your question.
- Click Enter Question when you are done.
- Remember to be specific about what you need your tutor to help you figure out. The tutors will not complete your assignment for you - they are there to walk you through the steps you are having trouble completing.
- Don't worry if you don't get a response right away after you click Enter Question. The average wait time is 2.5 minutes.
Scheduling an Appointment
Scheduling an appointment with a tutor is much like the Drop-In service. To make an appointment:
- Choose "Work with a Tutor" from the main page on Smarthinking.
- Choose "Schedule a Future Session" from the options at the top of the page.
- Select your subject.
- Verify your time zone.
- Pick a time from the available appointments. White blocks are open; gray blocks are already booked.
- You must schedule a session 48 hours in advance. If you need help sooner, either choose Drop-In tutoring or Ask a Question.
- Once you schedule a time, a link to your tutoring session will appear on the main page for Smarthinking. You can also access you session from the main page by choosing the "Review My Sessions and Submissions" button.
- TO ATTEND/CANCEL YOUR SESSION: Choose the "Review My Sessions and Submissions" button on the main page of Smarthinking.
Minimum requirements to use SMARTHINKING:
- Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac 10.4+, Google Chromium, iOS, or Android
- Internet Browser: Google Chrome, Firefox 12.0+, Internet Explorer 8.0+ or Safari 5.0+
SMARTHINKING Customer Support
If you need technical assistance, or help when the library is closed, you can email SMARTHINKING support at support@SMARTHINKING.com and someone will respond to you within 24-48 hours.