Students can submit a writing assignment and have a tutor review it through the Writing Center. You can get feedback on essays, paragraphs, resumes, and cover letters. You will receive feedback, including tutor comments and suggestions for improvement, usually within 24 hours. Plan ahead - submit your paper 3 days or more before your due date to allow time to make changes.
To submit your writing assignment for review:
- Choose the "Submit My Writing" button on the main page of Smarthinking.
- Select your subject area.
- Fill out the online form and upload your document at the bottom.
Please Note: Smarthinking is not an editing service. Writing tutors will make suggestions for improving the content, as well as grammar and mechanics; however, they do not edit or correct student work.
Retrieving and Using Your Feedback
SMARTHINKING is a great tool to help you improve your skills. The Writing Center tutors will review your paper and provide feedback; however, the tutors will not fix spelling and formatting errors, nor will they rewrite your paper for you. Use the feedback to help strengthen and refine your writing. If you need additional help, you can always stop by one of the CGTC Academic Success Centers for some face-to-face assistance.
How to access your reviewed paper:
- Click on the "Review My Sessions and Submissions" button on the homepage for Smarthinking.
- Click on the title of your essay, scroll down the page and click on “Download Essay” for Tutor Response.
- Choose a location to save the file (usually on the Desktop).
- You can rename the file if you like. Make sure to choose Microsoft Word Document or Rich Text Format in the save Save as Type box.
- Click Save.
- Open your document from the saved location. If you saved the file to the desktop, double click on the file to open.
Minimum requirements to use SMARTHINKING:
- Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac 10.4+, Google Chromium, iOS, or Android
- Internet Browser: Google Chrome, Firefox 12.0+, Internet Explorer 8.0+ or Safari 5.0+